Achilles Problems Treatment Perth
Are you suffering from problems in your Achilles region?
Achilles problems treatment in Perth is now available – read on for more information.
Achilles tendonitis describes an inflammation of the large tendon and/or its associated soft-tissue structures at the back of the lower leg. Poor circulation in the area contributes to the tendinitis becoming a chronic condition; and in some instances there is pain in Achilles tendon and it can also rupture. The traction forces experienced by the tendon can sometimes result in spurring or calcification of the tendon at its insertion into the heel bone.
This condition may occur at any age, however is most commonly seen in athletic individuals, particularly those involved in running or jumping. Individuals reaching their middle ages are also predisposed to this injury as the water content and ability of the tendon to repair itself diminishes; resulting in an overall loss of tendon resilience.
Causes and contributing factors:
- Sudden increase in physical activity or overuse
- Poor foot or lower limb alignment and bio mechanics
- Inadequate training practices (warm-up, cool-down, stretching etc).
- Physiological changes associated with aging
- Inappropriate footwear
- Direct trauma
- Other: Various arthritic conditions, nutritional, hormonal or metabolic abnormalities
- problems may be of immediate onset, or may begin gradually and worsen with activity
- Swelling over the area may be localized or diffuse
Treatment of Achilles includes:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapies: Ice, heat, massage, ultrasound
- Strapping and orthotic devices
- Gentle calf stretching and strengthening exercises
- Prevention: address bio mechanical abnormalities, improve training protocols